Named for Frances Deering Wentworth, wife of Governor John Wentworth.Situated on the Second New Hampshire Turnpike, the sole route between Boston and Vermont, the town once collected a toll of one cent per mile from travelling coaches and wagons.The name was chosen to indicate the town's location on a level, fertile ground between the hills.
First settled in 1753 by the Lynde family, the town was known as Lyndeborough Addition.
The Monadnock hills cut residents off from church and school, so in 1791 they petitioned for the right to form their own town.
This town, as part of Massachusetts, used the names Narragansett Number 4, Piscataquog Village, and Shovestown before installation of the NH provincial government.
In 1748, the area was regranted to new settlers, including Colonel John Goffe, for whom the town was officially named. The town includes the village of Grasmere, named for the English home of poets Wordsworth and Coleridge.
In 1748, the town was named for Wills Hill, Earl of Hillsborough, (as was Hillsborough County), created in 1769 by Governor John Wentworth. Hillsborough is the birthplace of Franklin Pierce, 14th President of the United States, the only President from NH.
This town is sometimes spelled "Hillsboro" in records.
First granted in 1735 by Governor Jonathan Belcher of MA as #7, one in a line of 9 towns set up as defense barriers against Indian attacks.
The towns were renamed following the 1741 establishment of New Hampshire as a separate province.
Having learned of a smallpox outbreak at Fort Pitt in July, 1963, Lord Amherst wrote to Bouquet, saying: 'Could it not be contrived to send the small pox among the disaffected tribes of Indians?